Each county listed on the site has information about obtaining your marriage license through specific counties. After the marriage license information you will meet each of the Ohio Wedding Officiants who live or do service in the area of your choice.
To be married in the State of Ohio, you will need to know…
- You do not need a blood test.
- There is not a waiting period.
- There is a restriction on age.
- There is a restriction on closeness of kinship between the couple
- Prior marriages must be dissolved.
- And where you must purchase your Marriage License.
- Ohio residents may be married anywhere within the state.
To the county court house, you will need to take with you…
- Your birth certificate
- Social Security card
- Government issued I.D.
o Driver’s License
o State Issued I.D.
If you are not an Ohio resident, you will need to…
- Get married in the county your marriage license is obtained.
- If marrying an Ohio resident, you must be married within the county the resident lives
- All licenses are valid for 60 (sixty) days.
If you are a minor, you need to know…
- The Ohio Revised Code statue 3101.05 requires that any applicant for a marriage license who is a minor must provide proof of having had marriage counseling prior to applying for the license.
- The counseling can be provided by clergy or a person licensed by the State of Ohio to provide counseling.
- Proof of counseling may be in the form of a letter to the Court from the person who provided the counseling on his or her letterhead.
- Your parent must sign giving permission.
If you have previously been married, you will need…
- need to bring a certified copy of your divorce decree
- a copy of a deceased spouse’s death certificate.
Marriage License fees are about $40, but could be more or less depending on the county.
Common Law Marriages are no longer recognized by the State of Ohio unless the couple entered into a common law marriage before October 10, 1991.
Ohio Bureau of Vital Statistics
Bureau of Vital Statistics
Ohio Department of Health
35 East Chestnut Street, 6th Floor
P.O. Box 15098
Columbus, OH 43215-0098
Phone: (614) 466-2531
Ohio Clerk of Courts County Offices
West Union, OH
St Clairsville, OH
Port Clinton, OH
New Lexington, OH
Van Wert County
**Please double check with the County Court House of your choice about these stated requirements. Rules, sometimes, change without our knowledge.